Liability and Property Coverage for Homeowners
For most people, buying a house is the biggest investment they'll ever make. We can tailor make a home policy to provide the kind of protection you need for your home, outbuildings, belongings and personal liability. Even the most careful and cautious homeowner is at risk for fire, burglary, theft and vandalism.
We can help you choose the product that best meets your needs...
Protection and service in one package
New! Try the new SGI CANADA Home Pak Online
Quoting Tool. Simply click on the MySGI
Button to see how affordable it can be
An SGI CANADA Home Pak can provide the protection you need for your home, outbuildings, belongings and personal liability. SGI CANADA offers the following Home Pak options to meet your needs and protect the assets you've worked hard to accumulate.
Home Pak A
Home Pak A protects your home, outbuildings and belongings against loss or damage resulting from:
Home Pak I
- fire or lightning
- explosion or implosion
- falling objects
- impact by aircraft, spacecraft or land vehicles
- vandalism or malicious acts
- water escape and rupture
- windstorm or hail
- electricity (power surge)
In addition to the coverage provided by Home Pak A, with Home Pak I you receive added protection for:
Home Pak B
- glass breakage
- theft, including damage caused by attempted theft
- loss or damage to items being transported, caused by an accident involving the transporting vehicle
In addition to the coverage provided by Home Pak I, with Home Pak B you receive comprehensive coverage for your home and outbuildings. Belongings are covered the same as Home Pak l. Your home will be safe from all the risks covered by Home Pak I, plus other misfortunes. For example, if you're rearranging furniture and accidentally damage a wall, Home Pak B covers the damage. It also protects you if an accidental paint spill damages your wall-to-wall carpeting.
Home Pak II
In addition to the coverage provided by Home Pak I, with Home Pak II you receive comprehensive coverage for your belongings. Your home and outbuildings are covered the same as Home Pak l. Your belongings will be safe from all the risks covered by Home Pak I, plus most other misfortunes. For example, if an airline misplaces your luggage, Home Pak II will cover your loss, whereas Home Pak A, I and B won't.
Home Pak III
Home Pak III provides the coverage offered by our other Home Paks, plus more. It's the most comprehensive coverage you can buy to protect your home, outbuildings and belongings.
Prestige Home Pak
Prestige home insurance offers you protection for your higher-valued home and choice to tailor coverage to meet your needs. Whether you are a home business owner or a specialty items collector or a savvy investor or buy toys for recreation, Prestige has the right coverage for you. All Prestige home insurance policies include the following coverage:
- Lifestyle Coverage Options - allowing you to tailor your insurance protection to your specific lifestyle needs; choose one or choose them all.
- Priority Claims Service - access to dedicated Prestige adjusters to provide you with faster service, including a 30-minute guaranteed response time.
- Roof/Siding/Flooring - if matching materials are no longer available, your entire roof, siding, soffitt, fascia, eaves troughs, downspouts connected to eaves troughs, flooring or sets of vehicle entry doors will be replaced in the event of a claim.
- Home Systems Protection - coverage for the sudden and accidental mechanical breakdown of home equipment such as furnaces, central air conditioners, deep well pumps, pool pumps and heating equipment, electrical power panels, and more.
- Homeowner's Guarantee Coverage - coverage to repair or replace your home or outbuildings with materials of similar kind and quality, even if the cost to do so is more than what you have insured them for.
- Higher Limits on Property with Specific Amounts of Protection - increased coverage for items such as tools, spare auto parts, business instruments and computers, securities coverage, computer software protection, lawnmowers, tractors, snow blowers, jewelry and furs, and much more.
- Personal Liability Coverage - $3 million in coverage to protect you if you are sued by someone who is hurt or whose property is unintentionally damaged because of your actions. For example, someone trips on your icy front stairs and breaks their leg. Prestige automatically provides you with $3 million in Personal Liability Coverage to protect you.
- Roof Snow Removal - access to $1,000 to have snow removed from your house following a claim caused by an ice dam.
- Single Amount of Protection - provides 150% of the coverage of your home, allowing you to allocate coverage as you wish towards your personal belongings, increased living expenses, lost rental income or expenses to cover the cost of being evacuated from your home. For example, on a dwelling value of $350,000, you would have $525,000 worth of coverage to use as you see fit.
The following features are included in all SGI CANADA Home Paks - at no additional cost. Replacement cost coverage This coverage protects your home, outbuildings and belongings for replacement cost at today's prices, not depreciated values (some limitations may apply).
With an SGI CANADA Home Pak, you're also protected against:
Ask us to explain the limits and conditions provided by the policy.
- credit- or debit-card loss, cheque forgery and counterfeit money
- expenses associated with debris removal following an insured loss
- damage to your property from an emergency entry by police officers, paramedics or firefighters
- increased living expenses and lost rental income following an insured loss
- inflation protection
- mass evacuation expenses
- damage to outdoor trees, shrubs, plants and lawns
- damage to the belongings of guests or household employees
Personal Liability Coverage
This coverage protects you in case you're found legally responsible for bodily injury to someone else or for damage to their property. All SGI CANADA Home Paks include a basic $1 million limit in personal liability coverage. Coverage provided includes:
Ask us about options for increased amounts of protection and important extensions of your personal liability coverage for other property you may own, such as seasonal residences or watercraft.
- court costs, legal fees and certain other expenses associated with your defence in the event of a liability suit
- voluntary medical payments up to $5,000 and voluntary property damage payments up to $5,000, even if you're not legally liable
For additional coverage, please consider an SGI CANADA Personal Liability Umbrella insurance policy.
Legal Expense Insurance
This coverage empowers you when you are faced with unexpected legal issues by paying your legal costs to pursue or defend your legal rights for:
Receive UNLIMITED access to our free telephone legal advice helpline. You can speak with a lawyer to receive general legal advice for any legal questions you have, whether or not it is included in your coverage.
- employment disputes
- contract disputes
- bodily injury
- property protection
- tax protection
- employee legal defence
Legal Advice Helpline 1-855-953-1430
Options to Meet Your Needs
Home Systems Protection
Home Systems Protection covers repairs or replacement when home systems, equipment and major appliances break down. For example: If your furnace breaks down or your home entertainment system stops working, you'd have insurance to pay for the cost to replace it. This insurance coverage is meant to protect you from surprise expenses you may not expect - but could happen at anytime. Home systems are not typically covered under a basic home insurance policy.
Service Line Coverage
Service Line Coverage covers the costs associated with repairs to underground pipes and wiring from the property line to your house when damage occurs on your property. For example: If a pipe bursts or is blocked by tree roots, you'd have insurance to pay for the cost to dig up your yard, make repairs and replace your landscaping. This insurance coverage is meant to protect you from surprise expenses you may not expect - but could happen at anytime. Service lines are not typically covered under a basic home insurance policy.
Identity Theft Coverage
A basic amount of coverage is provided for the reimbursement of expenses related to identity theft. You can choose to increase the basic amount of coverage for an additional premium charge.
When you qualify for this option, SGI CANADA will guarantee repair or replacement of your home and outbuildings on their original site with materials of similar type and quality - even if the cost is more than the amount of your insurance coverage. You're also entitled to receive up to 100% of the amount your
home is insured for to cover your belongings, increased living expenses, loss of rental income and mass evacuation costs (your single amount of protection). As well, if you're forced to remortgage due to your loss, SGI CANADA will cover any difference between your old and new interest rates for the remaining mortgage term. You're also covered for the extra expense of rebuilding to meet current building codes, as long as local laws allow you to rebuild at the same location.
Increased Limits Coverage
This option allows you to increase limits of insurance for property with specific amounts of protection, such as jewellery. It also provides $3 million in personal liability coverage as well as enhanced limits for voluntary medical and voluntary property damage payments. Eligibility requirements apply.
Glass Deductible Buydown Option
For a small additional premium, you can reduce your deductible for glass breakage to $25. This option is only available for Home Paks I, B, II or III.
Sewer Back Up Coverage
This coverage is available for an additional premium (subject to restrictions).
Voluntary Fire Fighting Coverage
This coverage is available for an additional premium.
Special Belongings Coverage
You may require extra protection on special items like furs, jewellery, fine art, coin and stamp collections, musical instruments and bicycles.
Watercraft and All-Terrain Vehicle Coverage
Boats, motors, personal watercraft, all-terrain vehicles and their equipment can also be protected.
Seasonal Home and Secondary Residence Coverage
You can add protection for your seasonal home, secondary residence and belongings to your SGI CANADA Home Pak. Guaranteed replacement cost coverage is available at no additional charge on only your seasonal home (subject to restrictions).
Rental Home Coverage
This option allows you to add protection for up to 10 rental homes you own and rent to others (limitations or restrictions may apply).
Home Pak Highlights include:
- convenient protection for your home, outbuildings, belongings and personal liability in one package
- choice of Paks and options tailored to meet your needs
- Homeowner's guarantee option, which guarantees replacement of your qualifying home
- Increased limits coverage option
- choice of convenient premium payment plans
- prompt, convenient claim service
- reliable protection from a dependable insurance company with more than 65 years of experience
- extends coverage past the expiry date in the event an emergency is declared
You may be eligible for a premium discount if:
This is a general description of the coverages provided. Actual policy conditions govern. For a complete list of Home Insurance options, policies and prices give us a call.
- you haven't had a claim for three years or more
- your age and number of years continuously insured with SGI CANADA qualify
- your home has an approved monitored security system
- your home has an electronic water shut-off system
- you have a newer home
- you choose a higher deductible
- you don't have a mortgage on your home
"Our success depends on your satisfaction"